Introduction to Project Genesius
Who are we?
- A collection of Private companies voluntarily supporting a Law enforcement initiative by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) in London
- Actively ‘cascading’ good business practice to resellers and associates
- Committed to eliminating misuse of security printing equipment and materials
Code of Conduct
- Know your customer (KYC) – can you prove the legitimacy of the enquirer?
- Is the enquiry for a genuine need?
- Is there any risk to your business – money laundering?
- Will you get paid? – is the payment guaranteed?
Benefits to business
- Protection of your reputation
- Demonstrating Corporate Social Responsibility
- Enhanced systems to prevent failed payments
- Networking and shared information with other members
- Shared information with Law enforcement assisting product development and market knowledge.
Success to date – up to March 2012
- 41 referrals from members to MPS, 718 disruptions and 23 referrals to operational activity
- Of the 23 referrals, 19 have resulted in prosecution (82%)
- 35 people receiving custodial sentences of more than 122 years.
- Information shared by Genesius members is more detailed and capable of conversion to evidence for prosecution.
The role of working group members
- Security Foiling are active members of the working group
- Security Foiling currently hold the Vice-Chairman position on the working group
- Security Foiling actively support initiatives to encourage good working practice that reduces the risk of equipment misuse